2020 Remembrance Day Ceremony Overview
The importance of a live ceremony honouring our Veterans and their sacrifices is considered paramount by the Legion, especially during the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War. As so many other commemorations have either been cancelled or delayed by the current pandemic the symbology of our Legions and community leaders paying homage to past sacrifices and before the eyes of those that served is more important now than ever. Our pledge to never forget echoes loudly throughout a land that has been immersed in isolation with a population whose focus is far from the events that we honour with this ceremony.
The 2020 Remembrance Ceremony will be conducted live at the Invermere Cenotaph on 11 Nov 2020. The following outlines the plan that will allow many elements of the previously conducted ceremony to take place while working within the restrictions imposed by the current pandemic.
The planning of the Remembrance Ceremony has taken into consideration the following
restrictions imposed by the Regional and Provincial health authorities
as a result of the current pandemic:
- The Government and local health authorities direction on the limit on outside gatherings.
- The restrictions imposed on indoor gatherings.
- The requirement to physically distance between individuals to a minimum of six feet or two meters.
- The requirement to wear protective masks.
- Members of the Cadets are prohibited from participating in such activities as remembrance ceremonies.
- Many of our Veterans and members are in the demographic most affected by the current pandemic.
Changes to the Content of the Ceremony
conduct of the Ceremony will follow the standard format but
modified to conform to the local restrictions as follows:
- Ceremony Participants: The maximum amount for an outside gathering is 50.
- Location: The ceremony will take place at the Invermere Cenotaph on 11 November 2020.
- Parade: The parade will be limited to Government and Legion representatives and invited guests.
- Colour Party: Reduced to Canadian and Legion flags
- Other: One piper to play the Lament, flag orderly to lower and raise the Canadian flag.
- Those wanting to place the wreath personally can
do so after the ceremony concludes. Acknowledgement of the wreaths will be placed on our website.
- Spectators: Discouraged from attending due to the limited space and the requirement to physically distance.
- Media: Media are invited to attend. The Legion will be broadcasting via Facebook Live https://www.facebook.com/RCLBC71/ and Invermere BC Events https://www.facebook.com/invermereevents/
Questions: Questions can be directed towards Jerry Meadows 250 342 3335
The modifications in our planning and conduct of the National Remembrance Day Ceremony are difficult but not insurmountable. Following the local area restrictions imposed due to the pandemic remains paramount in concern of the safety of all involved. However a reduction in people at the ceremony location and an adjustment in the format will allow us to honour our Veterans and the sacrifices made regardless of the pandemic.